Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Is Happiness the most perplexing word in this world?

It was a hot summer day and I was standing on the roadside corner waiting for someone who was supposed to pick me up from that place, he eventually became late and so I sat near one of the open restaurant. I wasn’t thinking about anything at that time. Just a few moments later I saw a Silver Mercedes car which stopped near the parking area. Husband came out from the driver’s seat. His wife was sitting besides him and 2 cute kids were giggling on the back side. I thought how lucky that guy he, he is successful and must have achieved something big to afford Mercedes. I was sipping my cold coffee on the 1st floor. Right then I saw his wife, who was beautiful, must be in her early 30s. I smiled sarcastically thinking that how lucky his wife is. She must be very happy with each and everything in this world. This woman must be enjoying all the luxuries of life without doing much. Must be having a very comfortable life, nothing much to do having plenty of time to read books, throwing kitty parties. Just then, he went to the other side of the driver’s seat and starting yelling at his wife and kids. It was loud enough that everyone started staring at them. But he was just too busy shouting at his wife and children so as to notice that everyone is watching him. Till now it was all normal and fine and I thought that he must have had a bad day at the office and that’s why he looks frustrated. But he didn’t stop and he then started abusing his wife obstreperously. He said

“Why the hell can’t control these kids, they want Pastries and chocolates and want to go for a ride everyday? You are such a bitch who just wants to spend money lavishly. These kids are just jumping in my car and they will surely break something inside my new car. You middleclass lady, fuck off from my life”. Even I felt ashamed how someone can talk to his wife in such a filthy language.


His wife looked really embarrassed but she still listened to everything he had to say silently. Her eyes said it all, she knew that everyone is looking at them and she was on verge of crying, still unable to say a word to retaliate. Just few moments back I was thinking how lucky she is. But now I felt that her life must be worse than hell.
Just then I saw an old couple walked past me holding hands in hands who looked so happy with each other. They must be in their 60s still they were happy about life. They were gossiping and teasing each other and seemed to be having a lot of fun. And I thought what actually “happiness” is? What is something that can keep him Happy? Or rather, is there anything in the world that can keep him happy at first place? The answer is “NO”.
So what is Happiness according to you? What is something that will make you happy for the whole life? What is that something which you want to achieve/get to feel fulfilled? The general answer would be Money, name, fame, girlfriend, boyfriend, muscles, health, looks etc or some odd ones would say – “a peaceful life.

We all want to be in someone else’s shoes. Don’t we? Everyone thinks that wowwww!! he looks so happy to me. Why I am not like him/her? He/she is so lucky to have this and that. But the truth is NO-ONE (yes no one) in this world is happy with what they possess. Let’s say that you want money, you slog your ass off for few years and with a bit of luck on your side, you are able to become rich or successful with fame. After accomplishing so much and having seen so many ups and down, are you finally happy? The answer is “NO”. I am not saying that one should not put in efforts or just stop at one point of time. But the only thing I want to put here is that one should always try to enjoy what he/she has. Live and enjoy every single moment. It’s important to enjoy the BAD times too. It’s worth an experience I bet. We all want our time to be perfect and none of us want struggle one bit. Each and everything in this world has a secret message in it. Only pain and struggle is the key to un-code that secret message. Every pain will teach you something new, every disappointment will make you realize YOUR TRUE SELF. Every failure will make you realize, who are your true friends and who all can stand by you in your bad times. Enjoy the pain, you will value your success even more because you will love it and will always remember about the dark days of struggle and sweat at the back of your mind.

I am experiencing that every failure and disappointed brings you closer to God. You struggle materialistically is directly proportional to your growth spiritually.

P.S.: This is just my personal experience. Please post your comments. If you don’t agree with me then I am ready for the discussion.

- Manish Lunja

8 comments:

Ranjani Mitra said...

Wow ! Manish, that was deep.....good for you.....God bless you!!!

Tabernacle of Serenity said...

Thanks a lot mam!! :)

Jigs said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jigs said...

Thoughtful... very well written!


Abraham Lincoln very rightly said-

"People are about as happy as they make up their minds to be."

Priya said...

I agree with this -"I am experiencing that every failure and disappointed brings you closer to God. You struggle materialistically is directly proportional to your growth spiritually. "

Anonymous said...

Nice & thougthful post.
Like it...
Check my blog too.....

Varun said...

Hmmm... nice deep thoughts... I agree with you at all things except the God thing.

Sorry bro... I dunn believe in any supreme power... its just the nature and laws of nature i believe in. I do not trust in any other power.

i am not opposed to the idea of spirituality... but spirituality is nothing related to God... its related to being in harmony with nature and natural laws.[:)]

Their are no miracles... everything is just a phenomena.. and those you call miracles are just the phenomenas you can't explain still. [;)]

Nethra said...

It was not only a good read but also very motivating.
Ups and downs are fun. It brings lots of drama to your life. It adds spice into the boring, monotonous life that we live.